Friday 18 June 2010

Governor Visit: Stuart Cheek

Governor Visit: Stuart Cheek

I attended the school on Wednesday 9th June 2010 in my role as Parent Governor.

I initially met with Miss Abela in my capacity as Link Governor for Assessment For Learning. I was impressed at the amount of targets that have been met and the plans for the future. I was impressed with Miss Abela’s knowledge of the subject and her plans for the future. I was shown the numerous resources and ideas that she has implemented into the day to day life of the staff and pupils also how she monitors that this Policy is being complied with.

I then met with Mr Lee, where he explained to me about the Family SEAL (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning). I was informed about the course being offered out to Parents and the content of the course being provided by Mr Lee. It is clear that this appears to be a good way to engage parents.
I also reviewed the way the school interacts with the parents through letters etc. and was surprised at the shear number of letters sent out keeping parents informed. I was also impressed at the amount of trips arranged for the children and it is clear that they are very lucky. It is apparent that the parents are kept fully updated with the progress of the children and through activities in the school. I have also reviewed the web page for the school including the blog spot and was impressed with how much information and assistance can be found for parents about activities for them and their children.

I then visited the Nursery and had a talk with Mrs Murcutt as to the activities available to Nursery children’s parents. Again I was surprised at just how much goes into making the children feel welcome and I liked the innovative ways in which parents are included in this crucial first stage of development. I was especially impressed with the new book bag idea that has been developed, which will encourage learning at home with parents.

I concluded my visit with a discussion with Miss Jennings about the school profile and we discussed the current draft.

Yet again I was made to feel welcome throughout my visit and would just like to express my thanks to all the staff and Miss Jennings for taking time out of their day to give me further information on both my link governor role and also my role to develop the school SEF.

No comments: